Taxonomy problem

Bruce Micales bmicales at facstaff.wisc.edu
Fri Mar 31 23:22:21 EST 1995

Dean,
I did some checking and discovered the following:

1) I could not fine any reference to the bacteria Empedobacter
collagenolyticum (either a new species or a misnamed species - what was the
date of your reference material?)
2) The genus Empedobacter was derived from
Flavobacterium.  A description for Empedobacter can be found in the
International Journal of Systematic Bacteriology (IJSB) Oct. 1994. Vol
44:827-831.  See page 830 for the description of the genus Empedobacter.3)
Actinomyces fradiae has become Streptomyces fradiae, however, this occurred
several years ago (27 years ago).  The description for Strep. fradiae can be
found in IJSB 18:69-189. 1968.

The above were found looking at some world wide web locations, plus some
volumes of the IJSB that I have at hand.

I hope this helps in some manner.  BTW, the only collagenase producing
bacteria that I know is Clostridia perfringens..but this is not my area of
expertise.

Good luck,

Bruce Micales

Bruce Micales
bmicales at facstaff.wisc.edu
Department of Anatomy
Amateur Radio : WA2DEU
Packet PBBS : WA2DEU at WD9ESU.#SCWI.WI.USA.NOAM