biophysics vs. biochem speculatin'....

K N and P J Harris ecoli at cix.compulink.co.uk
Sat Nov 4 05:14:37 EST 1995

> ==========
> bionet/microbiology #1056, from mbmorton at ix.netcom.com, 1963 chars, 2
Nov 1995 11:00:40
> ----------
> Article: 2008 of bionet.microbiology
> From: mbmorton at ix.netcom.com (michelle morton )
> Newsgroups:
bionet.biophysics,bionet.cellbiol,bionet.general,bionet.microbiology,bio
net.molbio.proteins
> Subject: biophysics vs. biochem speculatin'....
> Date: 2 Nov 1995 11:00:40 GMT
>
> Got a question that's been puzzling me.  My cat's fur is so soft that
> petting him is like touching a cashmere or angora sweater.  My
question
> is this - is *softness* due to:
>
> a) the **physical** arrangement of the peptide bonds - do the bonds
and
> the amino acids they're attached to form a smooth, rather than jagged
> or discrete, surface?
>
> b) the tertiary or quarternary folding of the protein(s) in his fur -
> ie, are the proteins physically arranged in some special way so that
> they are experienced by us as being *soft*?
>
> c) the sequencing of the amino acids themselves, or
>
> d) some other phenomenom that I haven't thought of and probably can't
> even imagine right now?
>
> Obviously, as a student I have wwwaaaaaayyyy too much time on my time
> on my hands :>!!!  This is one of several "philosophy" of chemistry
> questions I have that keep me from ever getting around to figuring out
> how to solve world hunger or bring about total global peace on earth
> and other really important stuff like that!  Soooooooo, if you can
help
> me out, I'd really appreciate it.  Thanx in advance for your info.
>

> michelle (my mind's awanderin', awanderin', just awanderin' away) m
Since this is microbiology, maybe you have access to one of those
antique bits of equipment we used to use before DNA sequencers took
over. It's called a "MIC-RO-SCOPE". Get a bit of fur, and a few bits of
other fibres and have a look.
Let us know your observations.
Peter Harris,
Soil Microbiologist,