Amylase--Michealis-Menten kinetics?

Forday Wayne Lee fwl at titan.np.ac.sg
Sun Nov 5 19:32:01 EST 1995

> Using a simple photometer to detect digestion of iodine-stained
>arrowroot
> starch by salivary amylase, I have gotten a graph that is FAIRLY
>closely
> modeled by the  Michaelis-Menten equation.  But it deviates
>significantly.
>  Do you have any suggestions as to why?

The problem could be that you are using a colloid substrate. The kinetics
that you are measuring could be those of mass transfer and not of the
enzyme.

Try doing the experiment at different stirring/shaking speeds and if Vmax
increases with stirring speed, then you are mass transfer limited.

--
Wayne Lee Forday, Biotechnology Department
Ngee Ann Polytechnic, Singapore
fwl at np.ac.sg
Fax:467-9109