pathogen virulence

Heikki Henttonen msehah at niini.metla.fi
Thu Nov 23 06:16:56 EST 1995

In article <20NOV95.13409917.0445 at VM1.MCGILL.CA>, Jamie <BNYB000 at MUSICB.MCGILL.CA> says:

>I am an undergraduate student at McGill University, looking for data for
>a term paper.  The hypothesis of the paper is that virulence and rate of
>infection would necessarily be highly correlated as virulence increases.
>The logic behind this is that if the pathogen were to kill off the host
>before transmission could take place, the species would quickly kill
>itself off in the process.  As such, selection favours a higher rate of
>transmission in more virulent pathogens.

Or usually vice versa, the variation in transmission is decisive for the
evolution of virulence. Read Paul Ewald's classic book: Evolution of
infectious diseases. Oxford Univ. Press, 1994. After that you know much
more.

Heikki.Henttonen at metla.fi