Milk clostridia

Bruce Micales bmicales at facstaff.wisc.edu
Fri Nov 24 18:55:41 EST 1995

In article <494ddp$gg$1 at mhafm.production.compuserve.com> Scalzo <101324.444 at CompuServe.COM> writes:

>Dear Friends,

>I am looking for information on the gas production by milk's
>clostridia (what clostridia produce
>what gas).
>Is CO2 the only gas produced by milk clostridia ? What sort of
>gas produce C. butyricum ?
>and C. soporogenes ?

I am not exactly sure what gases maybe produced by C. butyricum from milk.
The references that I have, indicate that C. sporogenes DOES NOT produce gas
from milk but rather a clot and digestion (Bailey and Scott's Diagnostic
Microbiology 5th edition . 1978. page 233).

However, I have not worked with Clostridia for several years and it would be
best to contact people that might be able to help you:

Dr. Eric Johnson Food Research Institute, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI.

Dr.s  Lillian Holdeman or W.E.C. Moore, Anaerobic Laboratory, Virginia
Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, VA.

Please note, that this information is old and may require more work on your
part, but at least it is a start.  Good luck.

Bruce Micales

>Any info will be greatily appreciated (references, name and
>addresses of people working on
>the subject, etc.)

>Thanks for your time.

>Salvatore.

>Salvatore SCALZO, DVM
>Laboratoire de Touraine
>Le Bas Champeigne
>37023 Tours Cedex
>France
>Tel : (33) 47 29 44 47
>Fax: (33) 47 29 44 00
>email : 101324.444 at copuserve.com

Bruce Micales
bmicales at facstaff.wisc.edu
Department of Anatomy
Amateur Radio : WA2DEU
Packet PBBS : WA2DEU at WD9ESU.EN53IE.WI.USA.NOAM