fevers

dwimmer at smartnet.net dwimmer at smartnet.net
Tue Nov 28 22:20:04 EST 1995

If I remember my immunology class right, it goes like this: When your immune system is
presented with a challenge, it produces some chemicals called pyrogens (pyr=fire) which cause
your body temperature to rise. Some bacteria contain pyrogenic substances that they excrete or
are released when they die. The reason your body likes to run a fever is to make it a more
hostile place for bacteria (they like 37dC not 39-40dC), your metabolism is speeded up to fight
infection faster, and it makes some other defenses more active. It has been some time since I
had all this, so it may not be quite right!