Eukaryotes in Extreme Environments

Lesley Robertson l.a.robertson at
Tue Oct 10 12:49:12 EST 1995

dmr at (Dave Roberts) wrote:
>Last March I broadcast an appeal for references to eukaryotes living in
>extreme environments.  I had been asked to add a lecture on the subject to
>material I already had on eukaryotic diversity.
>Well, I've taken the many generous comments people gave and added time in
>the library and come up with a review.  If you are interested you can find
>it on
>I plan to maintain the site so please e-mail me with any further additions
>to the physical range of eukaryotic life.  I have only one reference to
>eukaryotic barophiles, for instance.

What about all the stuff being published on the Galapogos vents - the
vestiminiferous worms (Riftia - not often the latin name is easier than
the english!), clams, crabs, etc - mostly with autotrophic symbionts?
Didn't anyone suggest them? If you want refs, contact me by email.

Dr. Lesley A. Robertson
Kluyver Laboratory for Biotechnology
Delft University of Technology, the Netherlands
L.A.Robertson at