Streps and electroporation

Dave Knaebel knaebel at uidaho.edu
Thu Oct 12 11:25:25 EST 1995

In article <451o2i$j3 at newsbf02.news.aol.com>, rdaines at aol.com (R Daines) says:

>I didn't see my original post listed so I'm posting again.
>
>Does anyone have any information or experience in the introduction of
>plasmid DNA into Streps by electroporation.  I would like to use mycelium
>rather than protoplasts.  Any help would be appreciated.

There is a recent publication on the electroporation of Streptomyces in
Pigac, J. and H. Schrempf. 1995. Appl Environ Microbiol 61:352-356.  They
found that some strains transformed better than others, but it gives a
good starting place. The media that they recommend (CRM) makes a big
difference in lessening clumped growth in liquid media...

Dave Knaebel
University of Idaho
(soon to be at Clarkson University)