Suitable columns for gas analysis

Lesley Robertson l.a.robertson at
Mon Oct 16 10:04:49 EST 1995

"Shenaz Moola" <SHENAZ at> wrote:
>We've recently purchased a gas chromatograph and want to place an
>order for the columns. From the literature, there appears to be a
>number of different types of columns all being used for the same
>analyses. We've set up lysimeters containing household waste and
>sewage sludge. The gases we want to check for are methane, carbon
>dioxide, oxygen, nitrogen, nitrous oxide and hydrogen. Can anyone
>suggest suitable columns for their detection.

You don't say what detector(s) you've got. I've used a thermal
conductivity detector with a molecular seive (5 Angstroms, 60/80 mesh)
column for N2 and O2, and an Electron Capture Detector with a Hayesep Q
column (2 m long, 3.2 mm wide) for N2O.
Dr. Lesley A. Robertson
Kluyver Laboratory for Biotechnology
Delft University of Technology, the Netherlands
L.A.Robertson at