(FWD) Your Input on Biotech Process Yield Consistency?

Martin Latterich latteric at mendel.berkeley.edu
Wed Sep 6 18:20:38 EST 1995

Your Input on Biotech Process Yield Consistency?

Will you help outline expectations for process yield
consistency in the Biotechnology Industry?

Please take a moment to answer these six, brief multiple
choice questions.  Your responses will be kept confidential
and used only in summary form.  Please return this E-mail to
me with an X next to your chosen responses.  If you would
like to know the results of this survey, please let me know,
and I will send them to you..

Process Yield Consistency Questions:

What is your PROFESSIONAL ASSESSMENT of the usual
variability you would expect, as measured by relative standard
deviation (RSD, Standard Deviation divided by the Mean),
from the following commercial processes (not
including recovery and purification)?

It is important that you select only a single response to each
question:

1) The synthetic yield of a compound made by a chemical
process?

a) <=5%
b) <=10%
c) <=20%
d) <=30%
e) >30%
f) No opinion

2) The fermentation yield of an antibiotic made by a
microorganism?

a) <=5%
b) <=10%
c) <=20%
d) <=30%
e) >30%
f) No opinion

3) The fermentation yield of a protein which accumulates in
inclusion bodies inside bacterial cells?

a) <=5%
b) <=10%
c) <=20%
d) <=30%
e) >30%
f) No opinion

4) The fermentation yield of a protein which accumulates in
soluble form inside bacterial cells?

a) <=5%
b) <=10%
c) <=20%
d) <=30%
e) >30%
f) No opinion

5) On what primary experience is your professional opinion
based?

a) University Research.
b) Industrial Research.
c) Industrial Process Development.
d) Industrial Manufacturing.
e) Quality Assurance.
f) Industrial Regultory Affairs.
g) Government Regulatory Affairs.

6) What is your primary, formal backround?

a) Chemistry.
b) Biochemistry.
c) Biology.
d) Engineering.