Expontential growth cequation

Scott Howard sjhoward at nyx10.cs.du.edu
Wed Sep 13 21:44:58 EST 1995

In article <4378fq$6k3 at cmcl2.NYU.EDU>, Owen Meyers
<Meyero01 at mcrcr6.med.nyu.edu> wrote:

>I have two questions that I hope you can answer for me.
>1. What is the equation for expontential growth?

Number of Cells=(Number of Cells You Started with)(2)^(number of generations)
N1=(N0)(2)^n

>2. What expontent do I use to calculate the grwoth rate of a binary
>fission organism?

number of generations=time elapsed/generation time, where generation time
is equivalent to the time it takes for
the number of cells to double while growing in log phase.
n=(t1-t0)/g

(The 0's and 1's should be subscripted, but the world is still ASCII, and
not Worldscript. :-)
--
We'll make great pets, we'll make great pets...