differences between bacteria

Walter Ogston ogston at HOBBES.KZOO.EDU
Tue Sep 19 12:09:54 EST 1995

boone at ese.ogi.edu (Dave Boone) replies to:
> In article <thomas.6.305D9211 at alf1.ngate.uni-regensburg.de> thomas at alf1.ngate.uni-regensburg.de (Thomas Zander t3013) writes:
> >Does anyone know a non-complicated book (or simple answers) , where I can find
> >what the basic differences between the . . . bacteria . . .
> Bergey's Manual of Determinative Bacteriology, 9th ed. (1994) Williams &
> Wilkins, Baltimore (or Munich) ISBN 0-683-00603-7.
> dave boone
IMHO Bergey's does not meet the criteria of non-complicated.  On the
other hand a good college-level microbiology text that does not focus
exclusively on medical micro, such as Brock et al. Biology of
Microorganisms or Atlas Microbiology has a longish chapter with short
outlines of these different groups.  Find the organism you want in the
index.  If that does not satisfy, then go to Bergey's or Balows The
Walter Ogston				ogston at hobbes.kzoo.edu
Department of Biology			Phone: (616)337-7010
Kalamazoo College			Fax:   (616)337-7251
Kalamazoo, MI 49006-3295