Help freezedrying anaerobes

Dave Boone boone at ese.ogi.edu
Wed Sep 20 09:09:57 EST 1995

In article <43obvn$ffm at info.curtin.edu.au> Your Name <Your Email Address> writes:
>Could anyone give me advise on the freeze-drying of anaerobes,
>especially Bacteroides melaniogenicus. Thankyou, Sue.

For many anaerobes, freeze drying doesn't work very well, but Hans Hippe
describes its application to anaerobes in the following reference:

Hippe, H.  1984.  Maintenance of methanogenic bacteria, p. 69-81.  In: B.
E. Kirsop and J. J. S. Snell (ed.), Maintenance of Microorganisms, A
Manual of Laboratory Methods.  Academic Press, London.

This reference also describes other methods.  The Oregon Collection of
Methanogens uses two methods.  For short-term storage (up to several
years) we distribute cultures into plastic freezer vials that have been
stored at least 1 week in an anaerobic chamber.  The vials are frozen (1
degC/min) to -40, then placed in a liquid-nitrogen freezer.  For longer
storage, we distribute the cultures to glass vials (inside an anaerobic
chamber), and temporarily seal them with latex rubber tubing and a pinch
clamp for removal from the chamber.  The vials are then heat-sealed with a
torch; just before heating, we insert a hypodermic needle through the
latext tubing to allow heated gas to escape during the sealing process.
The heat-sealed glass vials can be cooled and frozen in the same way as
the plastic vials.

dave boone
David R. Boone                  | "Many scientists classify bacteria.  Which
Prof. of Environ. Microbiology  | means that it is only for them to know, and
Oregon Graduate Institute       | they won't tell other people about it."
503-690-1146, fax 503-690-1273  |        --from a 4th-grade science project
boone at ese.ogi.edu; http://www.ese.ogi.edu/ese_docs/boone.html