Looking for advice and suggestion on Undergrad. project

Walter Ogston ogston at HOBBES.KZOO.EDU
Fri Sep 22 12:50:06 EST 1995

infinity at execpc.com writes:

> Hi all,
>
> Currently I am working on a bacteriology project: my professor asked
> me to choose a type of bacteria, and try to isolate it from a sample
> obtained from the nature. The bacteria should be nonpathogenic.
>
> May I ask you all to give me some suggestion about what type of
> bacteria will be very interesting to work with?
>
> Thanks in advance, please send your reply to: infinity at execpc.com

Most lab manuals in microbiology that have an environmental component
(i.e. not strictly medical) have methods for doing this.  For instance
Atlas, Parks and Brown "Laboratory Manual of Experimental Microbiology"
tells you how to isolate bacteria that reduce sulphate (Winogradski
column), that are bioluminescent, that are magnetotactic, or that
degrade cellulose or petroleum.  These don't require complicated
equipment and the ones we have tried work well.  Good luck.
Walter Ogston				ogston at hobbes.kzoo.edu
Department of Biology			Phone: (616)337-7010
Kalamazoo College			Fax:   (616)337-7251
Kalamazoo, MI 49006-3295

Walter Ogston				ogston at hobbes.kzoo.edu