Overexpression of E. coli capsule - What does strain look like on agar?

HOPE BINA at UNIXG.UBC.CA
Sat Sep 23 23:03:53 EST 1995

Hi,

Does anyone know what E. coli HB101 looks like on LB agar when the capsule
genes are derepressed?

I have a cosmid clone in E. coli HB101 that produces an enormous amount of EPS
(so much that it will actually drip off the surface of the agar when the plates
are inverted).  I am now wondering if I have capsule genes that are being
expressed on the cosmid or alternatively that something on the cosmid is
derepressing the expression of E. coli's endogenous capsule genes.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.