how to separate spores from vegetative cells?

Diane E. Emery emery at
Tue Sep 26 15:17:12 EST 1995

In article <448rha$4ks at>, Chris Michiels
<chris.michiels at> wrote:

> We want to prepare spore suspensions of Bacillus subtilis that are
> (virtually) free of vegetative cells. Since we want to study spore
> germination, the method should not interfere with germination. For
> instance, we do not want to use heat or lysozyme to kill the vegetative
> cells, because these treatments can activate the spores.
> Is density gradient centrifugation a possibility?
> Thanks for any suggestions.
> Chris Michiels
> Lab. Food Microbiology
> K.U. Leuven
> Belgium

My fiance works with Bacillis anthracis and I believe their procedure
calls for inducing sporulation, harvesting with sterile water and heating
at 65C for (I think) 30 minutes. This kills the veg. cells without
inducing germination. If you need specifics, feel free to email me and I
will find out for sure.

emery at