Growth conditions of mycobacterium smegmatis

Robert E Andrews randrews at iastate.edu
Wed Sep 27 10:45:12 EST 1995

In article <446q6v$pul at morgoth.sfu.ca>,
Julie Wasylnka <wasylnka at news.sfu.ca> wrote:
>I would like to know the growth conditions of mycobacterium smegmatis. I will be using a fermentor to grow these cultures. Thanks for any information.
>
>Julie Wasylnka
>Institute of Molecular biology and biochemistry
>Simon Fraser University
>Burnaby, B.C.

In the lab, we usually grow. M. smegmatis on Middlebrook's 35.  This might
be a little expensive for a fermenter.  In a pinch, I've used Luria broth
and gotten growth. We use shaking at 37 degrees C.   Good luck

--
Robert Andrews (RANDREWS at IASTATE.EDU) | "If you do not expect to, you will not
MIPM  Iowa State University           |  discover the unexpected."  Heraclitus