Vancomycin resistant S. aureus

Tom Dougherty Doughert at
Fri Apr 12 03:46:33 EST 1996

In article <4khl43$6lm at>, redrebel7 at (Red Rebel7) says:
>Hello all,
>I am trying to put together a seminar for our microbiology department as a
>final project before I graduate.  I have selected vancomycin resistant S.
>aureus.   Craig

There have been a very few reports of VR S. aureus.  Supposedly there is
a strain in England in a freezer (Noble strain, check FEMS Micro Letts
around '92).  I believe that it was reported at a meeting that the VancoR
genes could be transferred in vitro into S. aureus, but I don't believe this was
published.   I think you might have to spend a good deal of time at your
seminar discussing the genetics and biochemistry of VancoR in enterococci
...or else give a very short seminar.   ;^)