Software for strain collections

SigurÝur E. Vilhelmsson vilhels at
Fri Apr 26 16:49:08 EST 1996

>I am currently reorganizing (and updating) our lab. strain collection,
>and want to computerize the whole thing to make it more accessible. I
>therefore need a database software which will run in Windows, and which
>has a) fields which will accept text with different formatting within
>each field (italics, superscript, Symbol font, etc), b) fields which will
>take graphics, for plasmid maps etc, and c) a useful searching
>algorithm, preferable with a "card-file" sort of format. The main problem
>seems to be getting the various formats WITHIN each field. Can anyone
>sugest a useful program to use, perhaps which is already in use for a
>similar purpose in another laboratory?

You might want to look at FileMaker Pro 3.0 from Claris.  I think they are
out with a windows version.  I use it for my straincollection and find it
very easy to use, customizable in almost any way and very powerful.  You
can check it out at

Sigurdur E. Vilhelmsson
Guest Investigator
Microbiology laboratory, box 152
The Rockefeller University
1230 York Avenue
New York, NY 10021-6399

tel:  (212)-327-8278
fax:  (212)-327-8688
e-mail:  vilhels at
Do you believe in Macintosh? Learn how to help the cause by subscribing
to EvangeList, a listserver for Macintosh fans. To receive instructions,
send an email to <evangelist at>