Isolation of spores

Dennis Gaunt dgaunt at uhl.uiowa.edu
Thu Aug 1 12:36:20 EST 1996

Doug Stemke (dstemke at umabnet.ab.umd.edu) wrote:
: On Wed, 24 Jul 1996, T. Reid wrote:
:
: > Hi.  I have already posted this to the mycology group but thought I might hit a bigger
: > audience within this group.  Does anyone know of a reasonable method to isolate intact
: > fungal spores from soil samples?   I am looking for a non-culture method; filtration,
: > centrifugation, etc.  I am specifically interested in Histoplasma
: > capsulatum.
: >
: > Thanks,
: > Tom Reid
: > Cincinnati, Ohio
: >
: >
: Nasty organism!  For Streptomyces we occasionally would pass orgaisms
: through sterile cotton in a syringe.  It worked rather nicely to separate
: spores from vegatative cells.  I suppose it *might* work with true fungi.
:
: Hope this helps.
:
: Douglas Stemke
: Biological Process Technology Institute
: University of Minnesota
:

A good reference, if you can find it, is Smith and Furcolow, The Journal
of Laboratory and Clinical Medicine, 1964, 64:342-348.  Very briefly,
mineral oil is used to float Histoplama conidia out of a sample.
| Dennis D. Gaunt                   | Internet: dgaunt at uhl.uiowa.edu |
| The University of Iowa            |    Voice: (319) 335-4500       |
| Oakdale Research Campus           |      FAX: (319) 335-4555       |
| Iowa City, Iowa  52242            |                                |