Measurement of Candida growth

R.D. Haigh rxh at leicester.ac.uk
Sun Aug 4 09:51:38 EST 1996

Hi,
  I'm looking for ideas as to how I can measure the growth of Candida
  albicans when it has switched to its pseudo-hyphal form. I need a
  method which is sensetive enough to measure my initial innoculum
  (approx 100 yeast cells) but  which is relatively easy to work with
  as I want to do lots of multiples and I want to use it in a project
  for a third year student. All the suggestions I have had so far
  depend on measuring total DNA or protein of the hyphae but I'm
  unsure as to how easy either is to extract or how reproducible the
  results would be. Any suggestions would be gratefully accepted,

Richard Haigh
Dept. of Microbiology and Immunology
University of Leicester
Leicester