Measurement of Candida growth

Michael Kolotila x3887 mkolotila at
Mon Aug 5 10:29:25 EST 1996

Hi Richard;
  I will add in my two cents or pence worth.  Is Frank Odds still on
faculty there (he was at one time if memory serves)  He is Dr. Candida in
a John Cleese sort of way.  Frank, this is meant as a complement.  (if you
read this).  Perhaps some of his collaborators are still around.  And now
for my suggestion which probably worth win me any friends.  How about
trying direct microscopy?  With an ocular micrometer you can measure
growth and can track several at least yeast cells going to hyphae.
Turbidity woudld be difficult as hypahe  after a certain tend to clump
together.  Good luck.  Let me know what you do use as a method.


 Michael P. Kolotila, Ph.D.        * e-mail: mkolotila at   
 Biotechnology Program Coordinator *          
 Department of Natural Science     * voice :  508-374-3887
 Northern Essex Community College  *
 100 Elliott Way                   * fax   :  508-374-3723
 Haverhill, MA  01830-2399         *        

On 4 Aug 1996, R.D. Haigh wrote:

> Hi,
>   I'm looking for ideas as to how I can measure the growth of Candida
>   albicans when it has switched to its pseudo-hyphal form. I need a
>   method which is sensetive enough to measure my initial innoculum
>   (approx 100 yeast cells) but  which is relatively easy to work with
>   as I want to do lots of multiples and I want to use it in a project
>   for a third year student. All the suggestions I have had so far
>   depend on measuring total DNA or protein of the hyphae but I'm
>   unsure as to how easy either is to extract or how reproducible the
>   results would be. Any suggestions would be gratefully accepted,
> Richard Haigh
> Dept. of Microbiology and Immunology
> University of Leicester
> Leicester
> U.K.

More information about the Microbio mailing list