trichosporon -dairy products

Eberhard Kniehl 100674.1442 at CompuServe.COM
Tue Aug 6 17:52:37 EST 1996

In different lots of an industrial (sealed) cottage cheese, we
found - as the single contaminant - trichosporon cutaneum.
Some samples were macroscopically spoilt by fungal colonies, in
some samples t. cutaneum was found by cultivation on Sabouraud
agar. My question is whether somebody knows about the incidence
of t. cutaneum in dairy products. I suggest that this contaminant
could have been brought in during the filling process, but I dont
know much about dairy products. Is t. cutaneum: 1) often found in
untreated (not pasteurized) milk - contamination by the utter (=
primary product contamination), 2) used in a biotechnology
process for making cheese (intended "contamination") ? Thanks for
any help from those working in the special field of dairy
products microbiology; I´m just a medical microbiologist working
in (hospital) infection control.

Eberhard Kniehl (MD), Karlsruhe, Germany

--
Eberhard Kniehl
Karlsruhe - Germany