Vibrio fischerii

Brent Gilbert bg005d at
Thu Aug 8 10:24:42 EST 1996

In <4ucnal$iof at> pjurgens at (Pete Jurgens) writes:

>I am trying to get Vibrio fischerii to emit light and, despite
>respecting the recommendations of Farghaly concerning media and
>temperature cannot find any light even at the most sensitive settings
>of a PMT. Has anyone worked with this organism with success? I would be
>most grateful for any ideas.

The LuxR gene is activated only at very high levels of inducer. It is
imperative that you have as many organisms as possible in a confined area.
What sort of media are you growing on? The problem many be with the culture.
Brent Gilbert (bg005d at
"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice" -Neil Peart