Alcaligenes clumping problem.

Mark Fuller mark_fuller at qmgate.anl.gov
Tue Aug 13 10:18:52 EST 1996

Doug Stemke <dstemke at umabnet.ab.umd.edu> wrote:
>I'm posting this for a friend in the department.  He is trying to do
>quantative studies with Alcaligenes, but is getting too much clumping.  He
>has tried different phosphate concentrations in the medium without
>success.  So he has two questions:
>
>1) How might he prevent clumping.
>
>2) If clumping cannot be avoided, what is the best way to measure cell
>concentrations (the only othe suggestion I've given him is to filter
>measured volumes and weigh the filters, so far this is the best I can come
>up with).
>
>Please send along your suggestions and I'll forward them to him.
>
>Douglas Stemke
>Biological Process Technology Institute
>St. Paul, MN
>dstemke at biosci.cbs.umn.edu
>
>Thanks

Two alternate thoughts,

A bit of NaCl (0.85%, normal saline)in the extraction/dilution meadia might help.  Also a nonionic surfactant such ad Tween 80 might be of benefit.

Also, you might try using protein measurment as your unit for measuring cell material.

Mark Fuller, Ph. D.
Environmental Research Division € ER/203-J070
Argonne National Laboratory
Argonne, IL  60439-4843

phone: (630) 252-1795
FAX: (630) 252-8895