Several questions on evolution, and mutation (rate)

Leonard Evens len at math.nwu.edu
Sat Aug 17 21:11:52 EST 1996

KIRKX L AUGUSTIN wrote:

> > 3- What is the latest estimate of the age of the earth, and consequestly the earliest life form?
>
> Sorry, but I forgot.  I think it is about 20 billion years though.

The age of the earth is usually estimated to be about 5 billion years.
I believe there is evidence of life in rocks 3.5 billion years old.
Some biologists conjecture that life formed on the Earth as soon as it
possibly could, that is when the surface cooled enough and there was
liquid water.

20 billion is an outside estimate for the age of the universe.

--
Leonard Evens       len at math.nwu.edu      491-5537
Department of Mathematics, Norwthwestern University