Learning Microbiology

Ray Moore raym at RMOORE.COM
Mon Aug 19 23:39:21 EST 1996

I am attempting to teach myself microbiology - at least to the
level where I can make and understand the results of tests on
milk and cheese products.  I am in the process of becoming licensed
to manufacture these products.

I have progressed through all the micro-organisms described in three
books that are all beginning survey texts in microbiology.  One is
oriented toward preparing people studying in the health professions.
The others or more directed toward public health and the like.

I would appreciate if members of this list can help me with the
following questions:

1.  Is it possible to absolutely identify micro-organisms with any
light microscope?

2.  Are any of the electron microscopes available used or
new that are priced low enough for an individuals pocketbook?

3.  Are there other instruments available that provide enough information,
visual, or otherwise, to completely identify organisms?

4.  What kind of broth and stains do I need to get started in developing
some lab technique?  I have an analytic balance, will it be useful?

6.  Am I headed completely in the wrong direction here?

Thanks,
Ray Moore
ray at rmoore.com