Aravaipa puzzle

J-F Magnaval magnaval at cict.fr
Thu Aug 22 09:52:10 EST 1996

Sylvester O'Farrell wrote:

>     My friend hiked Aravaipa Canyon, AZ, which involved wading upstream.
> Afterwards, she and her friend found themselves to have an itchy rash
> over the body, which they took to be insect bites, numbering perhaps 60.
>  However, over the next few days,  other "bites" continued to appear.
>
>     Does anyone recognise this effect ?
>
> --
> Sylvester O'Farrell 70642.2703 at compuserve.com
> 08/15/96 12:23
> [ Standard Disclaimer ]This sounds like water-itches, due to the infection of Man by cercariae
(larvae) of birds' blood-flukes. Since Man is not a correct host for
these worms, larvae cannot growth into the paratized human subjects.
The only treatment to use is symptomatic, maybe with a balm containing
10% of crotamiton (European brand name: Eurax).

--
Jean-François Magnaval, M.D., Dr.Sc..
Lab. Parasitologie