Learning Microbiology

yersinia at BUTTERCUP.CYBERNEX.NET yersinia at BUTTERCUP.CYBERNEX.NET
Sat Aug 24 19:19:44 EST 1996

Hello especially to Ray Moore but to everyone else too,

I've been following this thread, but this posting of Ray's I find
inspirational given my personal background:

<1.  Several people said in essence "you just can't learn microbiology on
your on."  I have a B.S. and M.S. in Mathematics, with a pretty good
foundation in Chemistry and Physics and a lone Biology course, so I am
not daunted at all to set out to learn something like this.  But more
important, I don't think it is impossible for anyone to learn anything
"on their on".  At the risk of offending some of the very helpful people
who responded, I remind those who were negative of the old adage "those
who can, do; those who can't, teach.">

Ray, GOOD FOR YOU!!! I applaud your self-confidence, independence and
courage to take on a rather difficult - note I say *difficult*  rather
than *impossible* - task, to learn microbiology on one's own, in spite of
the insistence of others who said more or less openly that you cannot do
it. It is a rare, and in my opinion, wonderful person who is able to
think on one's own and act without undue concern about negativity and
discouragement from others. To these others who offered Mr. Moore the
negativity and discouragement for his efforts,  I would remind them of
Anton van Leeuwenhoek, Robert Koch and Louis Pasteur, to name only the
major pioneers, whose curiosity and independence not only taught all of
US about microbiology in a manner of speaking, but this after they first
taught themselves, but who were able to do it with a lot less "help"
available to *them* than Mr. Moore here can get from his microbiology
textbooks and the people on this list. If the pioneers of microbiology
could do what they did sans micro textbooks and electronic mailing lists
from other scientists, why do you all think it's so impossible for Mr.
Moore to learn *with* all of this help?  Those pioneers were simply
intelligent human beings, just like Mr. Moore here. Shame on all of you!

<2.  One person asked if I had an analytic balance because I was making
dope.  No, it was a piece of equipment that I used in a metal assay lab
that I owned.>

Iccch. Come on, people! It's this sort of paranoid attitude which gets
made into laws that are going to lead to the abolishment not only of
personal individual freedom, but also to the freedom necessary for
scientists ("official" degreed ones with "official" positions in
academics, medicine or industry as well as would-be independent
researchers not affiliated with colleges, hospitals or established firms)
to do what they do and achieve great things. This is going to lead to the
death of science, eventually. Is that what you all want? I know I
certainly do not. Just because someone owns a balance doesn't mean
they're involved in illegal drugs (I'd like to purchase an electronic
balance myself, to weigh my pet rats and calculate oral dosages of
antibiotics for them when their mycoplasma flares up). Also, in recalling
a past thread, just because someone asks about C. botulinum toxin doesn't
mean they're planning to engage in biological terrorism.

<3.  Some people suggested that I just hire a commercial lab for what I
need.  If one stays in business long enough he learns that there is
always a certain level of expertise that must be gained in house, e.g.,
the metal assay lab mentioned above came into being after some bad
assays from a very reputable commercial lab cost us about $20,000.00.
Losses like that and a continuing potential for similar losses can make
the necessary lab apparatii seem cheap to acquire.>

YES! I worked in a contract testing lab for three and a half years, and
some of the things I saw in there were such that I'd really think twice
about using one if I had a business which required my products to be
microbiologically tested.

<Now for some clarification:  There are two areas in which I want to
develop capability.  The first is testing for pathogens that may be found
in milk and dairy products, particularly cheese, that can cause disease
or death in humans.  The second is isolating, identifying, and
propogating the  various microbials used in culturing milk, and ripening
and aging cheeses.>

Cool! This sounds fascinating, even though my personal interest
microbiologically when I eventually finish my degree is researching
infectious disease organisms and antibiotic resistance, plus:

 <There is always another goal and that is to enjoy what I do, and
learning is always one of the most enjoyable aspects of any venture.> YES
YES YES!!!!!! The overwhelming majority of people, scientists or not,
need to work for a living, to spend most of our lives working, so it
makes no sense at all NOT to enjoy one's career! And a scientist who does
not enjoy learning is not a real scientist!

Thank you all for letting me get this out of my system, and thank you
Ray, for being who you are. :-)

Infectionately,
Yersinia.