Secretion of protein into growth medium

NATARAJ at UNIVSCVM.CSD.SCAROLINA.EDU NATARAJ at UNIVSCVM.CSD.SCAROLINA.EDU
Fri Feb 2 11:52:22 EST 1996

Hi,
   I am working with a bacterial gene which is secreted into the periplasmic
space.  I cloned it under the control of T7 promoter and in expression studies
in BL21DE3pLys grown in shake flasks, I found that the protein was secreted
into the growth medium at very high levels(>100mg/liter).  I did the experiment
in a fermentor and the results are very different.  It is not secreted into the
medium!  My question is what is so different in a fermentor to cause this
change in secretion.  I tried to reduce the dissolved air level in the
in the fermentor.  This did not improve the situation.  What other parameters
could be changed to get the protein secreted into the medium?  BTW the protein
IS getting secreted into the periplasmic space.  Thanks in advance for your
help.
     Natarajan