HELP IN CULTIVATING SULFATE-REDUCING BACTERIA

Robert Sanford sanfordr at student.msu.edu
Tue Feb 6 20:41:02 EST 1996

Hi,

I recently optained Desulfovibrio gigas from ATCC and grew it
successfully on BAAR's modified medium for sulfate reducers.  A couple
of things that I did in addition to the recipe, was de-gas all the
components with nitrogen and add a reductant (0.2 mM sodium sulfide)
prior to inoculation.  If you desire a more precipitate-free medium I
suggest growing it on lactate plus sodium sulfate with a mixture of
vitamins added.  Several vitamin recipes for supplementing media are
available in Ron Atlas's book on microbiological media.  I suggest you
look there.  Good luck!

Rob Sanford
Center for Microbial Ecology
Michigan State University