slant

Cliff Mintz mintz at CNJ.DIGEX.NET
Thu Feb 8 10:13:19 EST 1996

On Thu, 8 Feb 1996, Everett G Robert wrote:

> 	I have been performing some mating experiments and was curious as
> to why people use slants.  I spoke with a respectable microbiologist in
> my department and he couldn't think of a good reason.  It seems likely to
> me that someone went out of the way to invent and produce a slant for a
> specific purpose.  Do any of you have any ideas?
>
> thanks,
>
> Everett Robert
>
>  I have never heard of performing matings on slants! Nevertheless, in
addition to providing a good surface area for the growth of bacteria,
slants can also be used to confirm biochemical characteristics of certain
species eg. whether they produce acid from a certain sugar or produce
hydrogen sulfide as an endproduct of fermentation etc.  In addition, you
can actually see the amount of growth of a species on a slant and look at
some of the phenotypic properties of the organism eg pigmentation,
motility etc.  I think slants were a good invention. However, I do not
know who first used them or when they came into use.

       Cliff Mintz, Ph.D			Phone:(908)940-6928
       Transcell Technologies Inc               Fax:(908)821-4470
       2000 Cornwall Road			e-mail:mintz at cnj.digex.com
       Monmouth Junction, NJ 08852
           	"No sacrifice is too great for science"-C.Adair