slant

Andrew Syred andrew at micropix.demon.co.uk
Thu Feb 8 05:29:50 EST 1996

In article <Pine.A32.3.91.960208000521.54947A-
100000 at rs6.tcs.tulane.edu>, Everett G Robert <erobert at mailhost.tcs.tulan
e.edu> writes
>       I have been performing some mating experiments and was curious as
>to why people use slants.  I spoke with a respectable microbiologist in
>my department and he couldn't think of a good reason.  It seems likely to
>me that someone went out of the way to invent and produce a slant for a
>specific purpose.  Do any of you have any ideas?
>
>thanks,
>
>Everett Robert

Mating on the slant - novel :)

Probably convenience as much as anything. Small straight-sided bottles
take up less room than petri dishes and are more convenient to serilise
with medium in place but the surface area available is small. By
allowing the agar to set with the bottle inclined a greater surface area
is provided. Also the condensate that collects at the bottom of the
slope is useful for collecting good quality motile forms where bacteria
are concerned (especially for flagella studies).

Having said that these are only my opinions and I have no actual
knowledge of the true historic background.

Andrew

On-line Microscopy for Amateurs, Professionals and Big Kids alike
        ***** Visit http://www.demon.co.uk/micscape *****