slant

Doug Rice drice at vines.colostate.edu
Fri Feb 9 11:58:08 EST 1996

In article <Pine.A32.3.91.960208000521.54947A-100000 at rs6.tcs.tulane.edu> Everett G Robert <erobert at mailhost.tcs.tulane.edu> writes:
>From: Everett G Robert <erobert at mailhost.tcs.tulane.edu>
>Subject: slant
>Date: Thu, 8 Feb 1996 00:08:32 -0600

>        I have been performing some mating experiments and was curious as
>to why people use slants.  I spoke with a respectable microbiologist in
>my department and he couldn't think of a good reason.  It seems likely to
>me that someone went out of the way to invent and produce a slant for a
>specific purpose.  Do any of you have any ideas?

>thanks,

>Everett Robert

Everett:
1) Slants are great for organism storage.  More surface area in a smaller
container!  They can also be capped tighter than petri dishes so they don't
dry out.

2) Biochemical reactions.  The slant portion is more oxygenated and allows
reactions to occur faster.  Reactions that require oxygen (deamination) work
in the slant not in the butt.  The butt has lower oxygen and works on slower
processes or fermentation.  The classics are LIA and TSI slants for the
presumptive ID of Salmonella.

Doug