Identify bacteria/fungus

Lorraine H. Robinson robinson at robinson.avana.net
Sat Feb 10 18:56:18 EST 1996

> Hello everyone,
> 	I have a collegue who has found bacteria or a fungus in clay samples
using a scanning electron microscope.  The area of Turkey where the soil
samples were taken has an extremely high cancer rate.  What is the
quickest/easiest/cheapest way to determine what this microrganism is?  I think
that lung cancer is the most prevalent, and some form of asbestos exposure is
suspected.  I recall that some fungus can be toxic, and would like to follow
up on it.
> Thank you for your time,
> Randy Nessler

First you need a pure culture. Take a 1:10 dilution (the more material the
better), and plate it on TSA for bacteria and PDA for fungi. Incubate TSA
aerobically and anaerobically at 25 and 35 C, the PDA at 25 C until you have
good growth. Gram stain the growth off the TSA--give the PDA to a mycologist
for ID'ing. That will put you a long way to figuring this out. Of course, dirt
is riddled with microorganisms, so the chances you will be isolating what you
saw on the SEM are sorta small.

Lorri