1M NaCl bacterialstatic?

K N and P J Harris ecoli at cix.compulink.co.uk
Tue Feb 13 13:22:41 EST 1996

> ==========
> bionet/microbiology #1946, from kzagar at aol.com, 723 chars, 8 Feb 1996
17:39:16 -0
> ----------
> Article: 2893 of bionet.microbiology
> From: kzagar at aol.com (KZAGAR)
> Newsgroups: bionet.microbiology
> Subject: 1M NaCl bacterialstatic?
> Date: 8 Feb 1996 17:39:16 -0500
> Sender: root at newsbf02.news.aol.com
>
> Does anyone know if 1M NaCl is considered bacterial static for
"normal"
> bacteria?  Any input would be helpful.
> Thanks,
> Kathy Zagaroli
Hello Kathy,
I would not regard 1M as being reliably bacteriostatic. It will
certainly upset SOME organisms but there will be planty from most
environments that will cope.
We do lots of FUNGAL isolations on NaCl media and you need 2M to be
pretty sure of stopping most, even then a few will cope.
Peter Harris,
Reading Univ. U.K.