Software for keeping track on lab strain collections?

David R. Boone boone at ese.ogi.edu
Wed Feb 14 11:53:44 EST 1996

DATABASES FOR CULTURE COLLECTIONS:

To my knowledge, the only currently available database designed for use
by culture collections to record information about strains, including
phenetic characteristics and accession and culture storage information
is MICRO-IS.  I believe this program is currently used by ATCC.  It is
currently available only as a dos program that is not particularly
friendly to the very casual (or infrequent) user, but is pretty
straightforward for frequent users.  New versions of these programs are
currently being written to run in windows and (eventually) mac
environments, and the new software appears to be much more
user-friendly for the occasional user; I believe the windows version of
MICRO-IS will be available this summer, but for information about these
programs, contact Micah Krichevsky (micahk at helix.nih.gov).

Bergey's Manual Trust (http://www.ese.ogi.edu/ese_docs/bugs/bergeys/)
and Williams & Wilkins
(http://www.wwilkins.com/books/microbiology.html) have plans to publish
an electronic database including characteristics recorded in Bergey's
Manual of Determinative Bacteriology (9) plus some data on species that
have been defined since that publication.  Plans are to release this
database with Microsoft's "jet engine" (the basis of Microsoft's Access
database program) including a front end that will allow the user to
input data on his or her own strains; this may allow the database to be
used to track information about strains in a culture collection,
including both characteristics and accession information.  Permissions
at various levels could also be set for individuals in a multi-user
environment.  I believe (but I'm not sure) that all or most of these
features would be available to users without a license to Micorsoft's
database software Access, although an Access license would allow
additional power to modify the database.

An advantage in using the Bergey's database would that when data are
recorded for strains in a collection, these data could be compared with
the phenetic information defined for species and genera in the Bergey's
database.

--
David R. Boone, Professor of Environmental Microbiology
Oregon Graduate Institute, Portland; 503-690-1146