Need old CSHL E. coli strains

Michael R. Frank frank at lfc.edu
Tue Feb 20 18:35:13 EST 1996

I'm teaching a genetics course, and later this semester I would like
to use some of the bacterial genetics exercises in J.H. Miller's
"Experiments in Molecular Genetics" (1972, Cold Spring Harbor Labs
Press), but I am having a difficult time finding the strains listed
in the book. I am interested in doing the  interrupted mating/time
of marker entry and gradient of marker transfer experiments, which
use the strains CSH 61(HfrC trpR thi), CSH 62(HfrH thi), and CSH 57
(F-).

Do any of you either
A) Have these,
B) Know where they can be found,
or
C) Have some different strains which would fulfill the same purpose?

I have already emailes CSHL, the Yale stock center, ATCC, and JH
Miller. Only ATCC has replied, just saying they had no
crossreference for CSH strain designations.

Thanks for the help.
Michael R. Frank
Dept. of Biology
Lake Forest College