Life on Venus.......

Michael F. Hynes hynes at acs.ucalgary.ca
Thu Feb 22 12:42:17 EST 1996

egrunden at prairienet.org (Eric Grunden) wrote:

>In a previous article, David.Faguy at qmgate.arc.nasa.gov ("Dr. David Faguy") says:
>
>>Most (if not all) microbiologists don't believe there are any
>>bacteria (or archaea) growing at 400 C. Karl Stetter have some
>>that grow around 112 c (I think). The upper temperature limit for life
>>(as we know it) is probably about 120C. Above this the chemical bonds
>>that make biological macromolecules begin to break down (i.e. the
>
>				*******
>
>You are, of course, referring to biological macromolecules that
>have been selected for survival on Earth. There may be other
>structural forms able to withstand extreme heat, which we have
>never had the opportunity to run tests on.

The original post, if I remember correctly, dealt with the possibility
of seeding the atmosphere of Venus with Thermo-acidophiles and
then seeing what they evolved into. In this context the constraints
on what conditions terrestrial life forms can grow under are
relevant, whereas any considerations as to what non-terrestrial
life forms COULD consist of are beside the point. However if you
didn't see the original posts, you could hardly have known this.