Why succinate?

Nizar Batada nbatada at chat.carleton.ca
Tue Feb 27 16:46:41 EST 1996

Hi,
	I am a biochem undergrad third year. My question: In my microbiology
lab we always succinate to check if an organism can use it as
a carbon source. What I don't understan is why do we always use
succinate as a carbon source? why not other metabolic intermediates?
Is there anything special about succinate such that it can indicate things
about metabolusm that the other intermediates can't?
Is there any place except TCA cycle where succinate is used for catabolic
purposes?
Any Input will be much appreciated.
Nizar

Nizar Batada