PAGE

nsaunders at molbiol.ox.ac.uk nsaunders at molbiol.ox.ac.uk
Wed Feb 28 15:23:33 EST 1996

>Is anyone else out there, familiar with the experience of pouring a
>polyacrylamide gel really carefully, ticking off every step as you do it and
>it not setting?

>Matt

Yup. Upsetting isn't it.

But I generally find that (1) I forgot the APS, (2) The APS is off, (3)
I forgot the TEMED, or (4) it's very cold in the lab.

I've had trouble with setting gels quite recently; I've taken to warming the
gel mix at 42C for a couple of minutes before adding APS and TEMED and also
using 15% APS, instead of 10%. Sometimes I prepare and pour the gel in a 37C
room too. Gels set almost instantly, so you need a quick swirl and then
straight into the plates.

Keep trying, it's only a gel!

Neil

nsaunders at molbiol.ox.ac.uk