prions

Ron Tate rtate at bmb-fs1.biochem.okstate.edu
Thu Feb 29 10:23:04 EST 1996

calvin and hobbs wrote:

>  Hi,
>         I am a second year biochem student doing a project on prions, and
> having a little trouble. My problem is not getting information sources, it
> is getting the right information sources; I have got plenty of information
> from sources such as Scientific America etc. but my prof. requires us to
> have 10 recognized journal articles, finding the articles is so bad
> but trying to read them and understand them, let alone extracting the
> information that I need is a chore in itself. So the question that I have
> is  I am wondering if there is anything that I can do to help me understand
>  them better, or is this just something that one picks up along the way?
>         I would also inquire if there is anyone with additional information
> on prions that would be willing to help me out it would be greatly
> appreciated.
>                                         thanx,
>                                         Leana Webber

Leana,
Start with review articles, most of the time they aren't as technical
and its easier to not get bogged down in the details of the particular
experiment.  Also they do a nice job of bringing everything together and
explaining how one finding relates to another and if its recent enough
they have all the relevant references so you can chase a thread you
identified in the review.  You might try these
-Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol.270, Aug 18 95, p. 19197-
-Science vol. 252, 14 June 91, p1515-

Hope it helps,
Happy Hunting

Ron Tate