PAGE

Jerry LaVeck jlaveck at cpcug.org
Wed Feb 28 20:16:22 EST 1996

On Wed, 28 Feb 1996 14:35:21 +0000 (GMT), MICMCB at leeds.ac.uk (M.C.
Bean) wrote:

>Is anyone else out there, familiar with the experience of pouring a
>polyacrylamide gel really carefully, ticking off every step as you do it and
>it not setting?
>
>Matt
I haven't poured a gel in a loooong time, but I remember having your
experience a few times.  One cause is oxygen - it inhibits
polymerization.  You can take care of it by de-gassing the acrylamide
mixture.  Watch out here - you end up with something that sets up like
a rock before you get it poured!  The other cause is the catalyst  -
ammonium persulfate can go bad quickly.  Make up a fresh mixture and
use it in your next gel.
				Good luck!