sex

Veljo Kisand kisand at madli.ut.ee
Wed Jan 3 10:16:40 EST 1996

: Well, it depends how you define sex. I define it as a combination of
: REPRODUCTION, GENETIC EXCHANGE, and GENETIC RECOMBINATION. All three
: of these processes do take place in bacteria but they are distinct and
: separate processes. Therefore I would say no bacterium has sex.

I like the same definition.

: Gene transfer into Cyanobacteria (eg. Anabaena spp. ) is possible
: using broad host-range conjugation systems (see work from labs
: of Wolk, Hazelkorn, Golden). Recombination of introduced genes
: into the chromosome will also take place if selected for and if
: sufficient homology exists.
I was just wondering if cyanobacteria have any differences from other
prokaryotes mainly eubacteria for whom these recombination etc is well
investigated. Cyaonobacteria have some quite big differences from ohter
prokaryotes like photosynthetic apparatus, some of them are not any more
unicellular... maybe they have something interesting in sex as well. I would
be thankful for every refernces adn reprints on that subject.
Address is
Tartu Univ
Inst Zoo & Hydrobiol
46 Vanemuise st