Other resistant bacteria besides MRSA

Karen_Bush at INTERNETMAIL.PR.CYANAMID.COM Karen_Bush at INTERNETMAIL.PR.CYANAMID.COM
Wed Jan 17 08:41:51 EST 1996

Those of us in the antibacterial sector of the pharmaceutical industry have
realized this for a long time.  We have just had trouble convincing the non-
infectious disease experts in our companies that these problems have been worth
looking at from an economic point of view.  They can't quite see the long-term
implications.
Subject: Other resistant bacteria besides MRSA
From:    doyond at cnwl.igs.net (Dave Doyon) at INTERNETMAIL
Date:    1/17/96  3:03 AM

Besides methicillin resistant Staph aureus, we are now also condending
with pneumocucci (Strep pneumoniae) which are resistant to penicillin
and enterococci (Enterococcus faecalis, Enterococcus faecium) which are
resistant to vancomycin, as a matter of fact, some enterococci require
vancomycin to grow. TB is also becoming very resistant.
We are losing the battle against bacteria.  In the fifty years or so
that bacteria have been around, the bacteria are finding a way to
survive.
Scary stuff!!