Other resistant bacteria besides MRSA

Shan Putnam sputnam at tfb.com
Wed Jan 17 21:00:40 EST 1996

So what's the solution of controlling the rapid spread of antibiotic resistant
bacteria - better and more powerful antibiotics or better control (limited usage,
antibiotic rotation, etc.) on the utilization of antibiotics or both?

It seems that the pharm companies and health care have divergent interests.  Pharm
companies must sell drugs to stay in business and fund further antibiotic research
and the health care world must start to limit antibiotic usage to control the
runaway bacterial resistant, thereby limiting the revenue of pharm companies.  Of
course the Pharm companies will prob raise the price of their antibiotic to off-set
the lower usage volume.

It does the Pharm companies and health care no good to have drug-resistant bacteria
all over the place that are resistant to their particular brand of antibiotic(s).
It seems that most reports of antibiotic resistant is the over-use or misuse of
antibiotics, but that's not the only factor.

I don't have the answer, but it seems that dicussions about this global problem is
starting to take off.