Number of bacterial species

Mr MAGOT MICHEL MICHEL.MAGOT at TLS1.elfsanofi.fr
Fri Jan 19 04:27:12 EST 1996

> I have not been able to find an estimate of the number of bacterial
> species described so far and how many there may be "out there". I would
> appreciate some help very much.

In a summary of a talk he gave at the ISME7 meeting in Santos last August, Prof. Stackebrandt wrote :

"It appears obvious that the biotechnological and genetic potential of the about 4000 described prokaryotic species represent only a minute fraction of what is actually present in nature."

Michel Magot
SANOFI Recherche
Labege - France