Other resistant bacteria besides MRSA

Rafael Maldonado rafael at howard.genetics.utah.edu
Tue Jan 23 20:32:03 EST 1996

On Wed, 17 Jan 1996, Shan Putnam wrote:

> It seems that the pharm companies and health care have divergent interests.  Pharm
> companies must sell drugs to stay in business and fund further antibiotic research
> and the health care world must start to limit antibiotic usage to control the
> runaway bacterial resistant, thereby limiting the revenue of pharm companies.  Of
> course the Pharm companies will prob raise the price of their antibiotic to off-set
> the lower usage volume.

I wouldn't say so. Pharmacological companies are more interested in using
the same antibiotic for many years, knowing how expensive is designing
and getting approved new antibiotics.

We believed that antibiotics would save us from diseases; and we use them
too much. In some countries where antibiotics are sold freely (as in
Spain), resistant strains are a real problem. True that companies have
made a good profit of that, but now those antibiotics are not effective
any more, so they have to figure out how to solve the problem to "keep in
bussines". A more much expensive solution.

Of course, we need a seirous planification to solve this problem:
companies, health authorities and regular lay people must understand that
antibiotics don't mean the victory of the war, but the victory of a small
battle.

Rafa

Rafael Maldonado                             | 'No te creas todo
room 6160 Eccles Institute of Human Genetics |  lo que leas en
Department of Human Genetics		     |  internet.'
University of Utah			     |
Salt Lake City, Utah 84112. USA.	     |  "Don't believe
Rafael.Maldonado at genetics.utah.edu           |  everything you read
Rafael at howard.genetics.utah.edu	             |  in internet."
Tel: 801-581-4429			     |
Fax: 801-585-3910			     |