transformation

Evereh G Robert erobert at mailhost.tcs.tulane.edu
Tue Jan 23 22:52:12 EST 1996

It is not clear to me what exactly hapens when a E.coli cell takes up a
piece of DNA during transformation.  In particular, does a cell usually
take up more than one piece of DNA and do these compete for
maintainence?  Or, alternatively, do the cells only take up one piece of
DNA.  I am asking this question because I have been doing some difficult
clonings in E.coli which will be "shuttled" into Streptomyces lividans TK64.
I have designed my experiment such that only the correct clones will
replicate in both E. coli and Streptomyces.  My uncertainty lies in
whether I need a large number of cells to transform if the desired
constructs constitute a small fraction of the total plasmid population.

I would be very thankful for any input.

thanks,

everett