smallpox

Dr. Debbie Roberts roberts at jetson.uh.edu
Fri Jan 26 10:57:54 EST 1996

taught that the vaccine for smallpox utilized the cowpox virus, not the actual
smallpox virus.  The antigenic nature of all of the pox virus' is quite
similar (Davis et.al. Microbiology 3rd edition).  The vaccine that was used
the most was an attenuated vaccinia, not the virulent one that they are
planning to destroy.  I am sure if the virulent virus where destroyed it would
not hamper any efforts to cure a new outbreak.  Lyophilized strains of the
attenuated vaccine are probably still around or could be generated easily
from any new diseased victims.